Saturday, July 17, 2010

Gardening Woes

Dear B-Reader,




My beloved vegetable garden. Faithfully, I fertilized, weeded, and doted after every blossom and bloom. I was devoted.




One downpour came and went, taking my prized, grown-from-seed squash with it, leaving me nothing but a mushy glob of leaves. I did not give up.




Another continuous week of downpours came and went, giving the stem of my peppers a scoliosis-like curve. I did not give up.




A final week of intermittent downpours came, stayed, and did little more damage to the garden (the worst was already done), but it drowned me. I did give up.




Every morning, I stare at that tangled mess of tomato vines and blackberry stalks and think, "___." Yes, that's right, B-Reader, I think nothing. I've climbed down into the cave, reaching that critical point in depression where the patient is incapable of doing or feeling. My garden is neglected like the leftovers in my fridge. Left to fend off insects, weeds, birds all on its own.




This morning, through the humidity-glazed glass of my window, a beacon glared, making me blink to remove the flash. My sight refocused. With disbelief, I rubbed my eyes and looked again. My heart leaped (was that a feeling?). It was! It was! A bright red tomato!




Faith renewed, I journey into the garden later today. I think I will download Grandma Jackie's favorite hymn "In the Garden" as the theme to my revival.



* Tomato in my vegetable garden.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need to start raising WATERmelons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Alas, the only potted plants that have survived the monsoons are my herbs --

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, to you both. :) I would love to do watermelons...and they would do superbly with tons of rain and tons of heat. I wonder if anyone has tried to grow watermelons in a sauna before? My herbs are doing so well that it is laughable b/c I've not touched them (except clipped them to use in meals) in, like, forever.

    ReplyDelete