Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Heart Concrete!

Dear B-Reader,


You might not know this about me, but I love improving my local community, especially my neighborhood, Linkwood. Currently, I sit on the board of our neighborhood civic club, and am the liaison between the board and the beautification committee. Lots of work. Lots of rewards.


If you, B-Reader, live or work in Houston, you are going to be delighted with the news that I share below from the town hall meeting I attended this week. Please read on to be totally thrilled!


South Braeswood Boulevard from Stella Link to Kirby Drive is going to be completely reconstructed! Finally! This is a well-traveled road by many Houstonians and visitors to the Medical Center, Reliant Stadium, and the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. It is also the major street that forms the northern border of my neighborhood.


The project will begin in just a few days, on September 7, 2010, and is scheduled to end by January 15, 2012. It is a $5.5million dollar undertaking by the City of Houston. Long overdue...it has been over 50 years since South Braeswood has been completely repaired!


A few fun facts about the project:


  • 1,000 truck loads of supplies

  • 1,300 truck loads of concrete

  • 171 trees to replanted (150 gallon size, 15 feet in height)

  • 500 day project divided into seven phases

I am so excited that I can barely type straight...or maybe I'm reliving the bumps on the street from my drive home...

1 comment:

  1. Great news -- It's about time is an understatement!!

    ReplyDelete