Monday, October 8, 2012

Neighba' Flava' Part 2! Recipe: Green Soup and Ham, I Am!

Dear B-Reader,

These have been lovely days here in H-Town! Fresh, cool, fall mornings are the perfect beginnings to the month of October. This is one of my favorite times of year for cooking, as I am able to open the windows and not sweat to death while monitoring a culinary creation over a hot stove and oven!


Clara J and the masked Auntie K
With this change of weather often comes a change of health for the masses, unfortunately. I wish I could rock a face mask while being out and about on these autumn days and avoid the traffic jam of coughing on one aisle, sniveling on another, and -- whoa! -- sneezing fast approaching! But, the fashionista wannabe in me would never, ever, wear a surgical mask in public unless medically prescribed or all the rage (maybe I will move to China?). I did, once, wear one this spring when feeling sickly, myself, and caring for baby Clara...

Which brings me to my point. We all need a little TLC every now and then. The fastest way I know to impart a friendly hug without too much germ exposure is in offering someone a delicious, homemade soup. On second thought, germs are not really a prerequisite for sharing this dish; any occasion, even a change in the weather, makes me want to stir up a large kettle of soup and divvy it out to friends and family.

My go-to soup for this time of year: split pea. I love the color. I love the texture. I love the simplicity and heartiness. Try my Green Soup and Ham, I-Am...I couldn't resist...it is a variation of my mother's recipe, made heartier with some herb, ham, and carrots added to the mix...Mom used to read me a lot of Dr. Seuss.

Wishing you well,
Chalkaholic

 


Green Soup and Ham, I-Am!

Split Pea Soup with Carrots and Ham


Green Soup and Ham, I-Am!
Featuring fresh bay leaf from my garden!
From Katherine M. Chalkley (variation of Marie Walton recipe)

This soup is a hearty one, perfect for a chilly day. Yields 6 – 8 servings. Soup keeps well for several days if stored in refrigerator. Flavor improves if made one day prior to serving. If doubling, double all ingredients with the exception of the ham hock (one goes a long way, baby!).

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 medium white onion chopped or sliced, whatever your whim

3 carrots cut into bite-sized chunks (no need to peel, trust me)

1 package dry split peas

1 ham hock

3 whole garlic cloves peeled

1 fresh bay leaf (or 2 dried bay leaves)

2 – 3 sprigs fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, whatever you have on-hand; or 1 tsp dried herbs)

12 cups water, divided into two portions

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp pepper

Several, thick slices off of a ham slab cut into bite-sized chunks (approx. ½ cup)

In the bottom of soup kettle or dutch oven, drizzle olive oil and heat until just gleaming. Add to oil onion and carrots. Cook at medium-high heat until onions are translucent, about five minutes.

Sort and rinse debris off of split peas (honestly, I always skip this step). Do not soak, do not overnight soak peas, do not quick-soak peas; they must keep their integrity for this recipe’s success!

Into onion-carrot mix, add peas, ham hock, garlic, bay leaf, and herbs. Cover with 6 cups of water.

Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer 1 hour.

Add remaining 6 cups of water, salt, pepper, and ham slab chunks to soup. Stir. Simmer additional 30 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment